176 years and counting...
In 1835 a Cabinet manufacturing and Furniture Showroom was established at 19 High Street, Swansea. It was this family business originally in the name of Bennett that was taken over in the 1880’s by Frederick Charles Eddershaw, Great Grandfather of the present owner Michael Charles Eddershaw. Eddershaws grew to encompass no’s 19, 20 and 21 High Street, creating one emporium stretching back to Orchard Street at the rear.
The store itself had a fine atrium and boasted departments for China and Glass, Carpets and Fabrics, Baby Carriages and Nursery Goods, as well as furniture for every room in the house. At one time there were three generations of Eddershaws working in the store, Frederick Charles Eddershaw, his son F. J. Eddershaw and his son R. B. Eddershaw.
The Blitz in 1941 put paid to the original store as indeed it did for most of High Street. Temporary premises were found in St Helens Road before F. J. Eddershaw purchased the Old Assembly Rooms, 24-27 St Helens Road, where they stayed for the next 40 years. The three storey premises housed furniture and china departments, nursery and toy shop.
In 1965 the present owner Michael Eddershaw returned from working in Maples, Tottenham Court Road, London. Under his leadership the firm steadily expanded, always staying ahead of the times stocking furniture from Heals, The Terence Conran Workshops, Casa Pupo of Spain and Teak furniture from Scandinavia.
In the 70’s and 80’s Eddershaws opened shops in Cowbridge, Bridgend and Cardiff, also purchasing Hone & Jones Ltd, the Cardiff family firm specialising in high quality traditional furniture. Originally located in Bridge Street, where John Lewis now stands, they relocated to Mill Lane during the redevelopment of the city centre. In the 1990’s a new store was created at the 30,000 sq foot site where they remain on Hadfield Road.
In 1989 the Swansea store moved to the out of town premises on Lakeside Shopping Park. The entirely new store was mainly built by Eddershaws own team of builders and its construction of laminated timber framework and all round glazing makes it stand apart from the conventional steel sheds of the day.
Both stores are being ever developed by Michael Eddershaw including the new façade and the expansion of the furniture department in the Hadfield Road store.